Education in art and Animation:
- Degree in FINE ARTS at the university of Barcelona 2008 to 2013
- Character design fundamentals course at Sheridan College 2014
- Post graduate in COMPUTER ANIMATION at Sheridan College 2015
Shot finaler artist at ARC Productions in Toronto. 2015-2016
- Projects: BARBIE STAR LIGHT ADVENTURE (MATTEL inc. film) and DRAGONS: RACE TO THE EDGE (Dreamworks/NEFLIX tv series)
- Details: 3D generalist position, responsible for test render of assets, correcting and polishing animation and model IP, set dressing according to shot/sequence compositing needs, CFX in character’s hair and cloth,
- A great experience in exciting projects. Our team worked very closely with the art direction in order to ensure good composition, flow and coherence in camera and assets, it gave me a very good understanding of the needs and requirements that a 3D project have in both a technical and artistic point of view.
Lighting and compositing at ARC Productions in Toronto 2016
- Project: Thomas & Friends tv series
- Details: Lighting in shot and propagation through sequence, adjusting if necessary. Rendering in Mental Ray and composting in Fusion
- This experience gave me a good overview through the last stages of 3D project, a skill to identify lighting needs in both technical and artistic aspects.
CFX artist at Mikros Image in Montreal 2016-2017
- Project: Captain Underpants: The first epic movie (DREAMWORKS movie)
- Details: applying ncloth simulation to cloth and hair, delivering a specific style of movement by following and understanding the director’s choice of style in the project. Once the shot reached the desired look, we exported the final alembic and delivered it for lighting.
- It was a beautiful project to be a part of and required a good understanding of the style. The team dynamics were great, it helped me grew technically and I developed a good eye for detail: shapes, movement, weight and timing. It was a project that needed to meet a high quality standard and our team got very involved to deliver the shots up to the expectations.
Previz and Layout artist at Mikros Image in Montreal 2017
- Project: Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Fun Academy Motion Pictures)
- Details: Working closely with the sg supervisor and director to build and position camera, characters and environment. Make key poses on characters to determine motion and timing for each shot. Animate and position 3D cameras taking care of timing with a good transition between shots and sequences as well as making sure that mood and intention translated well through camera choices. Delivering full layout sequences with basic animation by following the direction and the references provided by the animatic.
- This experience led me to understand previsualization and layout as well as the needs of a 3D project during the beggining of shot production, the direction gave us freedom to explore and present different takes in the sequences, we had an animatic to follow but most of the times we had to explore different ways to translate the director’s view and intention through different camera choices, adapting timing and actions and making sense of the different environments to get a good flow through the sequences. It was a great project to work on and I learned to see the strength and power that camera choices make within the art of storytelling.
CFX artist at Mikros Image in Montreal 2017-2018
- Project: Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Fun Academy Motion Pictures)
- Details: ncloth rigging on assets to get them ready for shot production. Modelling a low res version of the asset in order to optimize simulation making sure that the asset would perform correctly in shot by setting up ncloth as well as deforming properly when connecting to the high resolution model. Once the asset was ready the shot work started, we applied ncloth simulation to cloth and hair, delivering simulation by following and understanding the director’s choice of style in the project. Once the shot reached the desired look, we exported the final alembic and delivered it for lighting.
- Sgt stubby had a more realistic style, there were a wide variety of cloths, need for folds and several layers to simulate. As in the previous project the team dynamics were great. This time I learned the whole process needed to apply CFX, working in both asset rig and model to be able to perform ncloth in the desired assets. I got a full understanding on how the process works as well as the importance of the building and designing of the characters when CFX is needed in a project.
Previz and Layout artist at L’Atelier Animation in Montreal 2018
- Project: ROBOZUNA season2 (NETFLIX tv series)
- Details: Delivering entire sequences working and creating each shot for animation to work on. Following the animatic in order to meet client expectations. Place animate and position camera for each shot making sense of composition, speed and continuation. Placing characters, props and environments, and making key poses to see the full intention of each shot and making sure that everything had a good and coherent flow.
- Robozuna pushed me to work fast and efficient, I learned a lot about layout and camera, I grew technically and artistically while pushing to perform in the needed speed of the project. The teamwork was important as well as the communication with the supervisor and the director. We had to deliver within a tight schedule and the files needed to be clear and organized in order to facilitate as much as possible the work of the following departments. I had lots of fun with the camera as the project often needed dynamic shots with action and camera animation working together.
CFX artist at L’Atelier Animation in Montreal 2018-2019
- Project: ASTÈRIX 4D Attention Menhir
- Details: Similar to Sgt. Stubby, the project required ncloth rigging on assets to get them ready for shot production. Modelling a low resolution version of the asset in order to optimize simulation making sure that the asset would perform correctly in shot by setting up ncloth as well as deforming properly when connecting to the high resolution model. Once the asset was ready, the shot work started, we applied ncloth simulation to cloth and hair, delivering simulation by following and understanding the director’s choice of style in the project. Once the shot reached the desired look, we exported the final alembic and delivered it for lighting.
- Astèrix required simulation in both hair and cloth, the style was very defined and our performance needed to follow and reflect the needs of this very well known characters. I perfected my skills and delivered fast and eficiente results I felt very comfortable during the whole project and the team worked together to optimize assets and tools as well as a coherent style through all the shots.
After my experience working in several projects, studios and departments with the intention of understanding well how a 3D animated project works, the process and needs that it has and developing a good eye in composition, detail, timing, and animation. I have decided to start a career as a Freelance artist.
I feel very passionately about the creative process in animation and I have now developed both artistic and technical skills to identify and adapt well to the needs of a project. I feel ready and excited to offer my services as a freelance 2D and 3D artist and be a part of new and creative projects.
I am very interested in concept design as well as storytelling and character/environment design, this is why I decided to create arletteanimation.com and offer a more wide variety of services that would give me te possibility to create my own projects and participate in projects from the stage of preproduction exploring creatively and at the same time knowing and understanding the more practical and technical needs that a project could face in production.
If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact me for further details. I am working worldwide and I am looking forward to collaborate and participate in new and exciting projects!
You can check in the following link my vimeo page with Demo Reels. There are reels for projects and departments and the reel for my student work. Do not hesitate to get in touch with me if you have any questions. I am waiting for the final projects to be released in order to be able to publish the work I made in L’Atelier Animation.